This moment of peace brought to you by DUNSMUIR LODGE. Check out this evening’s sunset video; it is 70 degrees and clear outside. Warm days and cool evenings make for a great getaway. Fall is the best time to visit Dunsmuir! Don’t forget we have better viewing of meteor showers going on right now, too.
Electric HOG. Never thought I would be putting those two words together… We had a celebrity here last night. A real iron-butt, Diego Cardenas is the first person to take the new Harley Livewire on a border-to-border ride from Mexico to Canada. Plug in at the Dunsmuir Lodge EV charging station next time you’re in town!
During this stressful time you can “run to the hills” to escape crowds, noise, and general freak out going on. You and your family deserve it. It is surprisingly quiet and safe here, while everyone is very aware of the sitation and taking measures to protect themselves and others. You can have fun while keeping socially distanced from those you don’t know.
Safe Hotel and Outdoor Recreation
• Our rooms are always clean and safe for travelers. That was the reason I got into this business, to make a “better” roadside motel-one that’s pleasant to stay at, not just ‘good enough’. To me as a traveler, this means clean rooms; comfortable bed, quality towels and toilet paper.
• Self Check-in: We’ll charge your card remotely and leave a sanitized key under your doormat.
• Exterior Doors: no hallways to pass by others too closely; no need to enter lobby first.
• Outdoor activities for Social Isolation: trails, views, rivers and lakes with no summer crowds (six feet-man, I don’t know you!)
• Safe Food: Local restaurants are following Beerflu-safe practices and food delivery. This service is RARE here- enjoy it while it lasts…
• Well stocked shelves: Our stores have everything you need for daily life- as long as you don’t need hand sanitizer.
• BBQ area for [spread out] family gatherings- oh wait, we all know each other.
• Free toilet paper included with room! (while supplies last; just kidding- stores here really are stocked)
• Smart TV’s and old school cable if you freak out and need to stay “home”.
• Easy access to I5 to get home quick in case Dunsmuir goes into “lockdown” too…
Thank you for getting up early; NOT playing with your kids or pets, NOT cooking for your family, NOT watching parades, playing video games or throwing snowballs at your little brother when he’s not looking… THANK YOU! For making sure that all the people who are taking the day off for thanksgiving have gas, food, and lodging (yep) just like the sign on the road says. Remember to thank your service workers a little extra today, they work hard on holidays so you don’t have to lift a finger. Special thanks to Manfredi’s (gas) and Mt. Shasta Resort staff for making sure I can get gas and food on holidays! – -Eric @ the Dunsmuir Lodge
When in town, make sure to stop at Mossbrae Falls and Hedge Creek Falls…
Hedge Creek Falls: EASY, 5 min. walk down past falls (trail goes underneath the falls!) to the river overlook north, giving you the perfect post-card/instagram shot of Mt Shasta. 4 minutes drive (in town).
Mossbrae Falls: Right in town, 3/4 mile walk north on tracks. Absolutely worth the walk! Allow 35 minutes or so for hike on tracks. Watch/listen for trains, but there is ample space for most of the walk to get out of the way of trains. 3 minutes drive, plus hiking. Allow 1.5 hours for a relaxed hike and visit to the falls. It is over 100 feet wide and spans a bend in the river with a train trestle just north. Use your black and white filter in pics to make it look ‘rustic’!
This is just a small slice of what’s to do around here… Ask in the lobby for a visitors’ guide to give you the full listing of the possibilities around here. Stay a week and we will fill your schedule each day with a new adventure. Bring the kids, and teach them something about the natural world around them in one of the most beautiful and diverse natural settings in California!
The “River Garden Symphony”; 15th Annual Music by the Mountain Gala will be held Saturday, August 10th at the Dunsmuir Botanical Gardens in Dunsmuir, Ca. Concert will begin at 4:00pm in the beautiful gardens by the Sacramento River. The Pacific Crest Music Festival Orchestra is headlining the event. There will be a silent auction to benefit the botanical gardens.
Gala Tickets, $45, include: gourmet hors d’oeuvres, one glass of wine, access to no-host bar, participation in both the silent and live auctions, and premier seating for the full-length concert.
Concert Only Tickets, $20, include: access to no-host bar and lawn seating for the full-length concert (please bring a blanket or folding lawn chair). Please note: Children 12 and under are free for the Concert Only, but not for the Gala.
Gala tickets must be purchased by Friday, August 9th. Concert tickets will be available in advance and at the gate. You’re invited to purchase tickets using PayPal on this website, at Dunsmuir Hardware, Jon Thomas Jewelers in Mt Shasta, or by calling/texting Sally Johansson at (530) 356 8819.
Here’s what Nancy wrote
“The Dunsmuir Lodge is a charming place to stay – a small, old-style I chose because they are pet-friendly and was traveling with my small dog and cat. I was very pleasantly surprised by the size of room, amenities (and great shower!) plus the owners are very friendly people who really care about their guests’ experience! My critters and I were so comfortable that we are booked for our return trip home. Looking forward to enjoying their hospitality again in July!”
Nancy’s private feedback for you:
“Thanks again for being pet-friendly, and the perfect stop on the way from Portland to Pacifica! Looking forward to seeing you again in July.”